Last night found me out with a few coworkers and we had walked to the restaurant from the hotel so it was not a problem to consume a few more beers than normal. Normally going to a restaurant or bar involves driving and so care must be taken to insure consumption is low enough to keep the your BAC below the legal limit. In general that is three beers or less with a meal, but that certainly can vary with the food you eat and have eaten prior to having a beer and the alcohol content and volume of beer consumed.
So we arrive and I wisely choose lower ABV selections to keep the cobwebs out of my head this morning. We eat some wings and later I follow that up with a quesadilla. It was obvious two of my companions were not of the same mindset, but the third was holding back and after two drinks had switched to a soft drink. My pace was slow and steady and eventually I had reached the limits of the amount I desired to consume. That’s when it hit, BEER PRESSURE! After much hounding I selected my last beer for the evening all the time knowing I would wake up looking for the cat that had crapped in my mouth and would be moving a little slower than normal. Luckily I had observed the glass of water per beer rule, but it still left me slightly dehydrated this morning.
So what exactly is Beer Pressure? It is when your buddies or coworkers pressure you into ordering another round when you know it will put you over the top. Most of the time it is good fun, and the after effects are minor. Last night was thankfully one of those nights and after some water and a couple of ibuprofen all is well. It is very hard not to give in to Beer Pressure. You already want another beer, you know it may be too much, but your desire and the pressure from friends working together are a powerful force to behold and you are easily swayed to the dark side.
You may ask how Beer Pressure can be avoided and I believe I have the answers.
- Don’t go out with friends or if you do find friends who are mute. This certainly does not lead to good conversation, but does avoid any and all pressure.
- Bring ear plugs. Once you have consumed all you desire quietly slip them in as the Beer Pressure begins. You can use ear muffs, but you’ll look stupid.
- Order something else, like a mixed drink and tell the waiter to leave out the alcohol. Keep in mind this is cheating and cheaters never prosper.
- When Beer Pressure begins order a round of tequila shots and ask the waiter to make yours apple juice. Again this is cheating and you will not prosper.
- Tell your friends you are already too drunk to have any more. Since this is a lie you have to be careful or your pants may catch fire.
- Act as if you are about to pass out. Pressure generally stops when someone falls out. This is a party foul and could result in expulsion, only use as a last result.
- Politely get up and leave the table. Realize you will be talked about in an unflattering manner once you do. No pressure, really.
In the end it may be best to just go with the flow. It’s not every night you will get to go out with friends and if you are not driving and can deal with some slight discomfort in the morning it may be worth it to witness the demise of your companions!